9.10.2009

On Leaving

If things go as planned, Jerome and I have only 12 days left in the Philippines before we start our new life in the US. Honestly, things haven't really sunk in yet. Sure there have already been despedida parties left and right with our dearest friends and more to come in the next week with our families but I still can't believe we only have two remaining weekends left! Two! Just two and then what?

This will be the first time that I will be away from my family. I remember how I admired those classmates for being strong as they went to Manila to study while their families lived in different parts of the archipelago. Some even as far as Mindanao. While I couldn't imagine myself being away from my Mom, Lola and brother. I even cried out of homesickess the first time I slept in a dorm in my first year of college. And now I have to endure thousands of miles away from home...*sigh*

My wonderful family

I will also definitely miss the familiarity of my life here. I will miss the routine of getting up at 6:30 in the morning and rushing to beat the long line in the terminal to catch a van to Makati. I will miss hiding my slipper-ladden feet from the guards as I enter our building as wearing of slippers to work is prohibited by building management. I will miss Manong Art as he greets me a "Good Morning Ma'am, very early!" as his way of teasing me when I am rushing to "time-in" just before 9 am. I will definitely miss morning chika with Miel, Noemi, Ann and Tricia over coffee and breakfast. I will miss walking to my workplace and knowing exactly what needs to be done and accomplished for the day. I will miss lunch at 1 pm at our 12th floor cafeteria and pondering whether to order at Lola's Kitchen, Japanese or Mongolian as you've been eating the same food over and over for the past 4 years. I'll even miss enduring the long line at the Standard Chartered terminal just to catch a van home.

A view of my building from Buendia

My Workplace

I will miss every little thing of my life here. And I do hope that my "new" life in the US will be as fun and fulfilling as my life in the Philippines have been.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the cliche? Endings are but beginnings....

You have led a wonderful like in Manila, thank to God's continuous grace. He gave you great and loyal sets of friends from Bene, UP and Merck; a "wonderful family" in Lola, Arvin and me - ehmm :); and a charming and good husband - yipee to Jerome!

You will have a different but equally beautiful life in the US, with God's continuous grace. He already blessed you with a set of very supportive in-laws and jobs, not just for you but for Jerome too! You will head a beautiful family with Jerome; build a rewarding career in Right Aide; and meet friends and be part of your new community.

You will be fine... because you are who you are. In fact, I believe that you will be equally happy and fulfilled, in your new setting, with your new family.

But if Manila will tug your heart so strongly that you want to come back, do so. We will be here to embrace you: your family and friends will always be here for you -- to help you start again.

love,
Mom

Mara said...

Thanks Mom! I really am a bit apprehensive but at the same time looking forward to a new beginning in the US. Jerome and I have worked hard for this. And God has certainly paved the way to make this into a reality. :-)

I love you Mom! And see you on December!

That Girl said...

Mars, I missed all the news! You tied the knot na pala :-) Congratulations and have a safe trip! (don't forget to update your blog ;P)

Mara said...

Haha, a lot has happened in the last few months. :-) Thanks Joy! Keep in touch!